Friday 4 October 2013

A/W13-14 Make-up Trend: Dark, Sultry Lips


Remember the late 90s, when we all used to experiment with dark reds and browns on our lips? Well, it seems that dark lips are making a comeback.  The AW13 catwalk shows were awash with red wine stained lips.
Backstage at Phillip Lim AW13 Show

Zac Posen AW13


 
But rather than being perfectly lined and even in colour, the newest trend is to give the lips a stained effect with the colour strongest towards the centre of the lips, fading towards the lip line. The lip often has a matte finish.
Antonio Marras AW13

 

I love wearing dark lipsticks and I have been experimenting with rich, dark reds and browns in my recent shoots. Here is a photo from a shoot I did with photographer, Terri Lee Shield, recently.  To achieve this lip colour, I applied one of my favourite matte lipsticks, M.A.C. Ruby Woo, and then deepened the colour with plum and even black lipsticks and lip pencils.
Hair and Make-up by Donna Harris (The Make-up Darling)
 

On my shoot yesterday, I decided to go for a matte brown lip on the model and so used M.A.C. Chestnut Lip Pencil all over the lip.
Hair and make-up by Donna Harris ( The Make-up Darling).
 
 
 
Here are a few of my favourite dark lip colours:
 
 
From top to bottom:

 
·         Dawn Crème Lipstick by Make up Store (black)
·         Black Cherry Lipstick by Revlon (deep plum)
·         Nightmoth Lip Pencil by M.A.C.  (deep purple/plum)
·         Fever Liqui-Gel Stain by Beaute (dark red)
·         Hermetic Intense Lip Gloss by Illamasqua (deep wine red)
·         Control Lipstick by Kevyn Aucoin (raisin/brown)
·         Havanna Glossy Lipstick by Make Up Store (plum/brown)
·         Chestnut Lip Pencil by M.A.C. (deep brown)