Wednesday 14 September 2011

Play Time!

This week, we have been getting more artistic at make-up school and working on more avant-garde and conceptual looks for photography and catwalk.  Having seen photos from haute couture fashion weeks with models sporting very imaginative, cutting-edge looks, I was keen to see if I could master the art myself.  However, I was never particularly good at art in school: I was always a bit too ‘safe’ and light-handed with my 2B pencil and this style of make-up definitely calls for you to 'play' with make-up, push the boundaries and design works of art.
We started by taking the 20’s inspired look (see previous post) and (under the instruction of our tutor) layering make-up over this to achieve a more artistic look:




Then, today, as I was the only student in class, my tutor and I had an opportunity to take the conceptual look a bit further.  I don’t know if any of you managed to grab a copy of this week’s Stylist Magazine on your way into work this morning, but in the beauty section there was an article and six page editorial demonstrating the work of an amazing make-up artist, Alex Box. Box is a truly inspirational make-up artist and her work beautifully traverses the boundaries between make-up and art. She is the Creative Director of Illamasqua, which is fast becoming my favourite make-up brand.
Using the ‘Cubism’ inspired look as inspiration, my tutor demonstrated the techniques for creating angular shapes on one half of my face and I did my best to complete the other half. 






Photo of the image in Stylist Magazine that inspired today's look!

Isn't make-up amazing?  Feel free to comment on this or any of my other posts.