Friday 9 September 2011

Week One

It is the end of my first week at make-up school and so far the verdict is two massive, highly enthusiastic thumbs up!  I absolutely love it!  I haven’t felt so much in my element in a long time.  All my worries (see last post) were completely unfounded. 
There were only two of us in the class this week: myself and another girl, which meant that we had a lot of time to learn and practise our skills on each other, with the constant attention of our tutor.  It has also meant that, in one week, more make-up has been applied, removed and applied again to my face than ever before and that my semi-permanent lashes that I had professionally applied as a pre-birthday treat have taken a battering from all the mascara that has been coated onto them.  But I am not complaining – I have learnt so much in the last week and I am already feeling confident about the feasibility of making this my career.  So much so that when watching the demonstrations at some of the make-up counters in Selfridges last night at Fashion’s Night Out last night, I was thinking “A smoky eye...I can do that, no problem!”.
I am in absolute awe of our tutor, Branka Vorkapic.  For her young age she has achieved so much and worked in many different areas of the industry including fashion/editorial, TV and body painting.  She is a very personable tutor and keen to share her knowledge and tricks of the trade.
So...the moment you’ve all been waiting for!  Here are some photos of the make-up I’ve done this week:


A daytime look with smoky eye




A dramatic yellow and purple eye with glitter



60's inspired look



20's inspired look