Wednesday 5 October 2011

Hello Dolly!

I have always been a real girly-girl.  As a child I loved playing with my Barbie dolls. I would dress them up, do their hair and have them act out little scenarios such as “Barbie and Ken’s road trip in their white Cadillac”, “Barbie and Ken go mountaineering (up and down the stairs)” and “Barbie and Christie (Afro-Caribbean Barbie) fight over Ken”!
But my favourite ever Barbie toy was my Barbie Make-up and Styling Head.  This was a life-sized Barbie head and shoulders. You could style Barbie’s hair- I think it even came with rollers, but the best thing was that you could remove her make-up simply by running a sponge soaked in warm water on her eyes, cheeks and lips and then re-apply it by doing the same thing with cold water or an ice-cube.  It was awesome and I spent many a day pretending to be a make-up artist and hair stylist, never once thinking that I’d one day become exactly that!
So when I stumbled upon an Erasable Make-up Mannequin Kit online a couple of months ago, I knew I had to have one.  The kit includes five masks of different skin-tones which fit over a mannequin head, which you can clamp to a table.  The masks are made out of a patented facial texture material, so you can apply any type of make-up on to them and remove with the cleansing cream supplied.  They are fantastic for practising all types of make-up on.

So here are some of the looks I have practised on my mannequin.  Just for fun, I have named each of the masks after a supermodel with a similar skin-tone!
Christy sporting Lady Gaga's 'Judas' video look

Christy with winged-out eyes

Naomi's gone leopard