Tuesday 25 October 2011

Testing my Skills

I am very happy because my blog has had over 500 page views.  I know that’s not a lot in the great scheme of the world wide web but considering ‘The Make-up Darling’ has only been up and running for just short of two months and is only publicised through my Facebook page, I think it’s pretty impressive! When I get to 1000 page views I will run a competition for one lucky reader to win some make-up goodies or perhaps a make-over, so keep reading and encourage your friends to read it too!
For the last couple of weeks, I have been working on getting my make-up kit together and building my portfolio by doing test shoots with photographers.  These shoots are unpaid, but are great for newbie make-up artists to gain experience and confidence on shoots and, of course, to get those all-important photos.  In the final week of my course, we had a photoshoot day too, where I brought in a model (my cousin’s beautiful 17 year old nice, Shamika) and created four different looks on her.  I’ve held back on showing you these photos as, much to my frustration, I have not received all of the photos from the school.  But, I couldn’t wait any longer so here they are:
The first look I created on Shamika was inspired by an old beauty shot of my idol, Tyra Banks.  It’s just a simple base with rounded black, smoky eyes and a neutral lip:


For the second look, I added in hair extensions and winged out the eye make-up for extra drama. I added two shades of purple to the eye and darkened the eyebrows.   I contoured the face and added a bit more blusher for a stronger look:


For the third look, I wanted to create a bronzed goddess look.  Starting with a clean face, I applied foundation and then contoured the face using a dark brown powder and a liquid highlighter in a gold shade.  I darkened and lengthened the eyebrows using a dark brown matt eyeshadow, and then applied a mixture of bronze and gold eyeshadows to the eyelids, followed by a thick sweep of black cake eyeliner.  To the lips I applied a gold lipstick and then stuck on tiny pieces of gold leaf.  For the hair, I added brown and blonde extensions, and twisted, dreadlock-like extensions to the hairline, twisted them around themselves and pinned in place.  Unfortunately, most of the photos of this look are missing- I only have this one of the work in progress:



For the final look, I wanted something completely different.  I wanted to play with bright colours and create a fantasy look.  Firstly, I added colour to the hair by fish-plaiting small pieces of coloured extensions.  I twisted some of the plaits around themselves again and pinned them up.  I added bright blue shades to the eyelids, a bit of glitter and some false lashes. Under the eye, I applied a bit of green eyeshadow.   I coloured the eyebrows bright pink using face paints and applied a bright pink lipstick to the model’s lips, followed by a clear gloss.  To finish the look off, I added some paper butterflies to the hair and stuck one on the models face using eyelash glue.  I also added a diamante beauty-spot.

I had a lot of fun creating these looks.  I think the last one is my favourite, just because it is so creative and colourful, although the bronzed look comes a close second (and once I get the photos of the finished look I’ll post them for all to see).  Please let me know what you think and which look is your favourite.   I also want to say a special thank you to my model, Shamika, for being so fantastic and patient on the day of the shoot.