Saturday 15 October 2011

So what next, darling?

Before I start on the main topic of this post, I just wanted to thank everyone that has continued to read and follow this blog.  I am genuinely surprised on the number of people that have taken an interest in my little venture.  I started this blog as a bit of fun and as a way of documenting my career change.  I have always enjoyed writing, but am not the most social media-savvy kid on the block and wanted to give it ago.  I’m astounded that people as far afield as Russia, Canada, USA, Barbados, Australia and Germany have been reading my blog!  Crazy – especially as I don’t know people in all of those countries.  I hope you continue to read the blog and please leave comments - I have now changed the settings so that everyone will be able to leave comments.  Also, please ‘like’ my facebook page: you can find a link to it at the bottom of this page.
Right, back to the topic at hand.  I have now completed my Professional Make-up Course and can now call myself a make-up artist and hair stylist!  Since graduating, I have worked backstage at a small catwalk show and done hair and make-up for a professional shoot.  But, as the days roll on, I am becoming increasingly more anxious about turning this into a viable career and making some money.  Thoughts of Public Liability Insurance, getting an accountant and registering as a freelancer are overwhelming me a bit.   I wanted to do an advanced course with a make-up school that has an amazing agency and offers a lot of opportunities to its graduates, but I really cannot justify spending over £1,000 to do a five day course right now.  The money that I put into savings while I was working in events is dwindling rapidly.  I would also like to do a course in semi-permanent eyelash extensions, but there doesn’t seem much point unless I have a space where I can invite clients to get them done.  Also, I don’t want to fall into the realms of becoming more of a beautician than a make-up artist, not that there’s anything wrong with that.  It’s just that I predominantly want to be a make-up artist in the fashion, media and entertainment industries.
I am also looking for a part-time job in a make-up store such a MAC or Space NK.  I spent last week putting my CV together and trying to make my work history seem relevant to a retail job.  Needless to say, I found it quite difficult.  I haven’t worked in retail since 2006 and although I’m certain I would do a great job in retail again, I’m just concerned that they’ll be some HR person dismissing my CV because my experience isn’t recent enough.
So, in truth, I’m not really sure what’s next for me.  But whatever happens, I’ll keep you all posted!